Thursday, August 23, 2007

John McCarley's Will

John McCarley's will: [spelling as I received it]

In the Name of God, Amen. I, John McCarly, of the County of Gallia and State of Ohio, considering the uncertainty of this mortal life and being of sound mind and memory, Blessed be Almighty God for the same, do make and publish this my Last will and Testament in manner and form following that is today. Further, after all my just debts and funeral expenses be paid. Further, I give and bequeath to my three Daughters, Elizabeth, Margaret and Zebiah fifty pounds each including that which they have heretofore received and also I give and bequeath unto my eldest son, William, all the Lands belonging to me on the South Side of Dryrun up on Indian Creek quarter section also twenty acres adjoining the same off Dryrun quarter section. Also all the Land that belongs to me on the East of Raccoon Creek below the mouth of Dryrun. to him, the said William, his heirs and assigns for ever. Also, I give and bequeath unto my son, John, my mills and Dutch Fan and all the Lands that belong to me on the East side of Raccoon Creek above the mouth of the aforesaid Dryrun with one acre remind, the west end of the mill dam by him, the said John, paying four hundred dollars in annual payments, one hundred dollars per year which money to go towards paying up my three daughters their legacies. This I give to the said John, his heirs and assigns forever. The remainder of my estate, real and personal, I wish to be equally divided between my two youngest sons, Samuel and Moses, to them, their heirs and assigns for ever. If either of my two sons mentioned, youngest sons, should decease without leaving lawful heirs, his part to return to the surviving one. Also, I hereby appoint John McCarley, Joseph W. Rose and John Cherington executors of this my Last Will and Testament, hereby revoking all former wills by me made. In witness whereof, I have hereunto set my Hand and seal this twenty sixth day of September, One thousand Eight Hundred and Fourteen.

John McCarly Signed, sealed, published and declared by the above named John McCarley to be his Last Will and Testament in the presence of us who have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses in the presence of the Testator.

Samuel W. Blagg

William Blagg, Farmer

No comments: