Friday, June 17, 2011

My Journey back to Gallia County and the early McCarleys

I will be leaving in two weeks to begin my journey.  Moses and Sarah were not born in Gallia County, but they lived there, raised a family, and were laid to rest in McCarley Cemetery.  Of course I have the statistics, both of their wills, and a few stories.  I also know that Moses' parents, John and Martha, died in Gallia County, Raccoon Township. (I wonder what happened to the three Bibles listed in John's chattels?)
And my 2nd greatgrandfather, James Robert Gooch, who was married to Moses & Sarah' s daughter Mary Jane...well, I have his picture, but what of his life.
I am going to walk the lands where these family members lived, look at the creeks where they fished, find the churches where they worshipped.  Even though the forests are gone in many places and the wildlife is more scarce. I know that the rolling hills of Gallia County will speak to me.

1 comment:

Family Stuff for Lisa said...

Hello Karen,

I'm currently researching my family tree and it looks like we are on the same path. My paternal grandmother is Mary Elizabeth McCarley (Shyrigh) and her father was Cline McCarley of Gallia County, Ohio.

I hope you're well and had a fruitful journey to Gallia County. If you would ever like to connect I am AngelaShyrigh at ancestry.com and ashyrigh at gmail dot com.

All my best!